Thursday, July 1, 2010

O what a beautiful morning, o what a beautiful day.


This morning was my first time to see the sun in Guate. It is "winter" here, which means it is the rainy season. It is normally always overcast but the temperature is perfect- mid 70s. This morning I was encouraged by Isaiah 61:1-4.
v.1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.
When I read this passage I keep in mind Ephesians 1:18-20 which says we have inherited an incomprehensible great power for us who believe, the power that raised Christ from the dead. Think about that for a minute, the same power that raised Christ from the dead is in us! The only way I can proclaim the good news to the guatemalans is to fully rely on the Holy Spirit and his power in me.
Isaiah 61:3 says to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes and Isaiah 61:4 says they will rebuild the ancient ruins and renew the cities.
There is ash all along the streets and the mudslides have destroyed towns.
Isaiah 61 is the perfect passage for Guate at this time and it is my prayer for Guate. At the end of the day when I am tired and I really want to complain, my prayer will be Isaiah 61:10, which says, "I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with jewels."
We met with Efrain for breakfast to schedule next week. He works for Feed the Children. Then we went with Efrain and Jake (Efrain's co-worker) to the village that we will be working in. It is an hour drive but it is beautiful!


And adventurous due to the steep gravel roads up the mountain. Fun fact: Guatemala city has an elevation of about 4500 feet and the villages surrounding the city have an even higher elevation.

It is cheaper to ride on top.

We will be preparing the foundation for a room that is being added onto the school. There are 100 students that attend the one room school house. We will also feed the children a mid-morning meal. I am excited to meet them and build relationships with them! The village people are very lost. I only saw two catholic churches and Efrain said that most people do not have the catholic bible. And even if they did, most of them can not read. We will be in the village to do construction but I will take every opportunity to talk to people about Jesus. It breaks my heart that most of them probably have never heard the gospel. Please pray that their hearts will be open.
We went to Pollo Campero for lunch. I ate a chicken sandwich with black beans and guacamole on it. Its was different but tasty! Tonight for dinner we are going with Efrain to a steakhouse. I am very blessed to be in a city with good cheap food.
Our first group will arrive on Saturday from Naples, FL and they have about 40 people in their group. Until then, Theresa, Ryan and I will be making preparations for them and by making sure we have water, materials for the foundation of the school, meals, etc.

Thank you so much for your prayers! Check back later to see how God is working in Guate!

1 comment:

  1. Great update! Glad you got to eat Pollo Campero... they are EVERYWHERE! And for dessert... doughnuts. lol.

    Which city are you guys working in to build the home?? Sounds like you're having a great time already. Can't wait to meet up soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete